Fingerprinting & Safe Environment Training - Volunteer and Employee Clearance Information
Per the Diocese of Orange policy, all church/school personnel and volunteers working with children (and vulnerable populations) must complete two levels of clearance. The two levels (steps) consist of a Safe Environment Training (SET) via an online video and quiz, and a federal background check/fingerprint clearance.
***BOTH STEPS MUST BE COMPLETED IN ORDER GAIN VOLUNTEER OR EMPLOYEE CLEARANCE WITH THE DIOCESE OF ORANGE.***
The process to complete the registration for requesting clearance approval has changed. Please follow the Step 1 instructions below to complete the Safe Environment Training (SET) and then use Step 2 instructions to guide you through the background check/fingerprint part of the process.
The first step is to complete the Safe Environment Training (SET) which involves watching the online video and passing the online quiz.
1. To begin, go onto the Internet and type in http://www.shieldthevulnerable.org/ if you are a first time sign up: https://www.shieldthevulnerable.org/STVSignUp.aspx.
2. Scroll down the home page until you find the FEATURED section, then click on the Safe Environment Training Program box.
3. Click on REGISTER (or Log-In if you have previously registered), then enter your name and email address in order to register. If you don’t have an email address, obtain one from a free email service such as Gmail or Yahoo. You cannot share an email address with another person who has registered for the training.
4. To register, create your own username and password, being sure to WRITE IT DOWN since you will need this to “log-in” to access the training later on*. Once you have registered or logged in you can begin the online training which takes approx 60 minutes to complete.
*Volunteers must complete re-training every 3 years!**
5. Be sure to enter "St. Bonaventure" in the PARISH, SCHOOL OR DIOCESAN ENTITY field.
6. After registering, watch the 20-minute video “Protecting Our Youth” and then complete the on-line quiz, which consists of 13 questions. Pass/fail results are sent directly to the Diocese of Orange Human Resources Office, which records the data for the Diocese.
The Safe Environment Coordinator DOES NOT have access to these results, therefore, you need to print or save a digital copy of your SET certificate. You will need to email a copy of the certificate as a .jpg or .pdf attachment or bring a copy of your printed SET Certificate to the parish office for your file. Please keep a copy of this certificate for your records. It may be needed to complete the clearance process.
The second step to obtain a clearance is to register for fingerprinting so a background check can be initiated.
1. To begin, download the Safe Environment LiveScan Application.
2. Fill out the form and return it to the Safe Environment Coordinator either via email or in person.
3. Once received, our office will process the application and generate a "Request for Live Scan Service" form that you will need to take with you to your Fingerprinting Location.
4. Print 2 copies of this form, one to keep for your records and the other will be completed and signed by the Live Scan Operator that processes your fingerprints.
5. Please bring the signed copy of the "Request for Live Scan Service" along with your SET certificate to the Parish Office.
You MUST complete BOTH steps to receive approval to volunteer or work within the Diocese of Orange.
Approval takes an average of one month to complete. If you have not heard within that timeframe, please contact our Safe Environment Coordinator so the status of your clearance can be checked with the diocese:
714-846-3359 x 435
Thank you for helping to keep our children safe!